Saturday, December 7, 2019

Some of my Sweeter Memories



These days there is a lot of posts about how to eat healthier, losing weight and getting in shape. I'm not trying to knock these articles and posts, but sometimes when you're doing the party planning it’s fun to think back to when you were a kid.

Remember all the games you used to play? Board games like Monopoly, Life, and Scrabble? From my childhood days, I can even remember playing Tag, hide n’ seek and pin the tail on the donkey.

There seemed to always be running around, riding bikes, skating, rolling down grassy hills. Anyway, I hope you can see where I'm going with all this, let’s have a little fun. What I remember best about my birthday, and my sibling's birthdays is the candy!

What was your favorite candy when you were a kid?  Some of mine were Licorice, Chocolate, and good old Laffy Taffy?

I remember the delight of the days I was old enough to go to the store to buy candy without my parent's supervision. No mom there to tell me I couldn’t have what I could afford to buy. Lemon heads were always one of my favorites.

I'll admit that my younger brothers and I no doubt spent way too much of our allowances on candy, but it was SO much fun! We’d hide it so that our mother wouldn’t find it, and call it our midnight snack making sure to throw the wrappers straight into the trash after eating the candy. My mother laughed about that to me once a couple years ago, my brothers and I could not believe that she had known of our candy hiding secret, but she did.  We all laugh about it now but the candy had been eaten after all; she couldn’t undo that, so what did it matter if she knew then?

Halloween was, of course, the best. As we got older we got to be the kids that went around the neighborhood later than just about anyone else, so the people who didn’t want to have leftover candy would just dump their excess on us. No worries back then about poison.

Another funny memory is that just like the squirrels that used to frequent our neighborhood hiding food for the wintertime my brothers and I were always trying to find the best places to hide each individual piece. Of course, that meant that every here and there we’d find a piece that had clearly been hidden for a year or more... yuck! When our house was destroyed we move a few times before settling into a new house my parents had built. I can't help but smile thinking about the people who moved into the houses we had once lived in when they came across pieces of candy we had hidden as kids.

Despite my best resolutions these days, I still love candy. Cinnamon candies are my main weakness now, but I know how to be pretty good about it, buying a small quantity once in a while so that I get the taste without the feeling of OD-ing (Over Dosing) on Cinnamon candies. But then come those days when I have to get into my old favorites, Lemon heads still feel good on a sore throat.

Yes, it does pay to eat healthily. But everything in moderation, and that includes moderation. Sometimes you just have to revisit a few old memories in your party planning. When my own kids were still small it seemed like everything candy-wise was a gummy this or a sour that, and while I was able to migrate my taste buds somewhat to the more contemporary candy flavors nothing can match my favorite candies from the time I spent as a kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kids Coloring and Activity Books

Coloring books, Kid's activity books, and ready to be packed with action, Kid's adventure books can all be found here. Books for age...